Posted in: Success casesLast update: 15/02/18
This is a case study of the movie-theater chain, Yelmo Cines, which organized a promotion across the social networks to reward the loyalty of its clients. The promotion consisted in awarding each participant with a discount code redeemable for a discounted cinema ticket. Below we explain what the campaign involved, its principal challenge and the final results.
Yelmo Cines is a leading company in the Spanish cinema sector, with over 400 screens. Its 37 complexes in Madrid, Barcelona, Canarias, Asturias, Álava, La Coruña, Cádiz, Vigo, Albacete, Alicante, Almería, Málaga, La Rioja, Valencia, Zaragoza and Vizcaya provide the biggest screens and most up-to-date technology for watching movies. Always concerned with the comfort of its clients, Yelmo Cines movie theaters offer total visibility, with the seats laid out on tiers so that nobody gets between the spectator and the movie. The most advanced projection and sound systems ensure that all the theaters and screens offer a top class entertainment experience.
Under the title ‘Saturday FAN’, the campaign consisted in offering fans of the Facebook Page a discount on their cinema ticket to loyalize clients with promotional codes. The campaign began on January 30 and lasted until February 7. During this time, users could register via the Facebook Page in order to obtain their discount.
In this way, after providing their information in the registration form, participants received a promo code redeemable for a discount in the movie theater, enabling them to obtain a ticket for just 5€, plus a 2×1 option in the medium popcorn menu.
For greater convenience, the discount code was sent to the participant’s email address provided upon registering for the promotion.
Also, one day before being able to redeem the discount, the user received an email reminding them of their promotional code.
The main objective of the campaign was to reward the loyalty of clients and consumers of Yelmo Cines with a discount on the price of their ticket. Another objective of the campaign was to reach possible new clients and attract them to Yelmo movie theaters. The discount on the price of the ticket was intended as an incentive to help achieve this aim. Participants could enjoy their discount coupon on the day established by the campaign: ‘FAN Saturday’ (Saturday 7 February).
The challenge also consisted in ensuring that the distribution of the unique codes worked perfectly via smartphone so that participants could redeem the discount code quickly and easily with their mobile device. In this way, at the moment of buying the ticket, users could display their code directly on the screen of their smartphone.
To carry out the campaign, a promotion was created with Easypromos White Label and the Promotional Codes system was used. For the sending of the code by email, the Easypromos Emails Platform was used.
The Promotional Codes system permitted the assigning of a unique code to each participant after they had completed the registration form enabled on the Facebook Page. The promotional code was accompanied by tools enabling the user to print and download it as a PDF, thus facilitating the redeeming of the code in the movie theater.
The Emails Platform was used to automatize communications via email with participants of the promotion. Specifically, two messages were programed to be sent:
- A message was sent automatically to each user upon registration in which a uniquely-assigned promotional code was included, permitting participants to save the code in their email inbox.
- A message was sent to all users registered the day before the end of the promotion, reminding each user of their promotional code.
The promotion was published on the Facebook Page of Yelmo Cines, and also diffused via other channels available to the company, particularly WhatsApp and Twitter, which used the hashtag #SaturdayFan to dynamize the action.
- A total of 19,830 people registered for the promotion to obtain their discount coupon.
- 7,000 new fans were obtained for the Yelmo Cines Facebook Page.
- More than 50% of participation was via mobile device, a very positive figure, given that this is one of the most common methods for users to participate in promotions.
- The ease of use of the Promotional Codes system ensured it was simple to assign a unique code to each participant. The promotional codes were pre-loaded into the system which then automatically assigned a unique code to each participant as they completed their sign up.
- The emails platform was configured to automatically send messages to ensure the following was possible:
- Maintaining fluid communication with participants.
- Providing a personalized experience for each participant.
- Boosting engagement with the followers and clients of the brand.
“It’s a pleasure using the Easypromos solution to carry out promotions, thanks to its ease of use, and the quickness with which promotions can be prepared and launched. With this promotion we were lucky to count on the continual support of the Easypromos team. The new feature of personalized email sending is perfect and it was great in helping us communicate with our participants, both during and after the promotion.
The “responsive” development of the contests, which ensures that users can easily participate from any device, also facilitated participation greatly, as over 50% of users took part via mobile devices.
Finally, viralization via networks such as WhatsApp and Line ensured that the promotion reached even further than we could have imagined.”
Other case studies
Easypromos CEO and co-funder