Posted in: EventsLast update: 29/03/19
New Year’s Eve: one of the most magical nights of the year. We celebrate our past achievements, and set intentions and resolutions for the new year ahead. Here are some quick marketing ideas to start your brand off right – and then get back to the party!
Celebrating New Year’s Eve
Almost every culture celebrates the end of the old year, and the beginning of the new – although dates and traditions are different around the world. Looking for inspiration for your New Year’s Eve promotions? Here are just a few of our favorite traditions for New Year’s Eve…
- In Scotland, people celebrate the tradition of the “first footing”. The first person to visit you in the new year brings whisky and a lump of coal.
- In Venezuela, people wear yellow underwear for good luck.
- In Serbia, people decorate a tree for New Year, instead of Christmas.
- People celebrate the famous “ball drop” at Times Square in New York City, United States. But there are regional variations too! In North Carolina, the ball is replaced by a live opossum.
- In Spain, the Philippines, and many Latin American countries, people eat 12 grapes at midnight – one for each hour.
If these traditions sound a bit much, then try our quick and easy promotion ideas instead. It only takes minutes to set up a social media giveaway – especially with our instant holiday templates.
Inspirational ideas for New Year’s Eve promotions
1. Share resolutions with a writing contest
Many of us start the year with grand resolutions. In a survey for 2018, almost 70% of people said they planned to make a specific resolution:
Infographic courtesy of Statista
Start the year by asking your followers about their resolutions for the year to come. Then share a prize to reward and help people stick to their promises.
Here’s a a great example from a homeware brand. They asked users to write about their resolutions. Everyone who shared their ideas received a free ebook full of self-care tips for the year ahead. And one lucky winner received a pressure cooker, to support them in their healthy eating goals.
There are several different ways you could run a resolutions contest like this:
- a free-form writing contest, where people share their own ideas
- a survey to find out the most popular resolutions
- a video contest where people can record their pledges
Top tip: Whichever type of contest you choose, this is a great way to get user-generated content and learn more about your followers.
2. Throw a party for your followers
While we might resolve to get more sleep and take care of our health on January 1st… December 31st is a night to party! So why not organize or sponsor a New Year’s Eve event? Or, if you want to keep your New Year’s Eve promotions small-scale, just give away a few pairs of event tickets.
It’s just the same as a classic giveaway – but every time participants refer a friend to your New Year’s Eve promotions, they earn an extra entry in the prize draw. You can also set up the contest so that people need a minimum number of referrals to enter, just like this example from a popular club in Amsterdam.
3. Share a special prize when the ball drops
It’s the most-awaited moment at every New Year’s Eve event. The clock strikes midnight, and fireworks burst across the sky. People hug, kiss, and hold hands while they sing traditional songs like Auld Lang Syne. And with the right New Year’s Eve promotions, you can be a part of that moment too.
People love instant win contests. The idea is simple: you set up some prizes, ready to win. Your followers just sign in to the app to find out if they have been lucky. The twist? The app automatically awards prizes at random times – motivating your followers to check again, and again, and again…
Anybody can join this kind of contest, so long as they have a computer or mobile device with an internet connection. So you could share prizes with your followers at the countdown to midnight, at special events or at home.
4. Send customized New Year’s greetings to friends and family
Use our new PhotoFun feature to invite your followers and customers to send their customized New Year’s greeting to their friends and family. Select the format, frames and stickers they can use and encourage them to share as much as possible to get votes. You can try the DEMO here and we’ve also created a template (in Premium version) for you to copy and publish. You’ll have your perfect New Year’s promotion ready in just a few minutes.
You can set up your account now and get started in minutes. Last of all, this is our opportunity to wish you a magical New Year’s Eve and a Happy New Year!