Halloween is almost here. Soon the streets will be filled with spooky decorations and trick-or-treaters. Have you started planning your costume yet? Here at Easypromos, we’re getting a head start with some spine-chilling suggestions for Halloween promotions on YouTube.
It might seem hard to believe, but YouTube is set to take over from Facebook as the social media site with most traffic. If you have a digital marketing strategy, then you should include plans for YouTube promotions. And Halloween is the perfect time to join the party! Video is the ideal format for costume contests, scary films, tricks and treats. In this post, you’ll learn how to set up and run a Halloween giveaway on YouTube, get the maximum benefit for your brand, and avoid common mistakes.
People are spending more and more time watching videos online. And 58% of viewers react to what they watch, which means that video is your secret weapon for increasing engagement. Use your YouTube channel to update your followers, educate them about your products, and show the fun, friendly side of your brand. If you can’t make a direct connection between your products and the holiday, consider a co-branded campaign, or something with global appeal, such as a costume contest.
Choose a hair-raising Halloween prize
Make sure you choose a thrilling prize for your Halloween giveaway on YouTube. It should be attractive to users, and relevant to your brand or the season. Here are four tips for a perfect prize:
- Value. The prize should motivate followers to participate. And it should be a special treat – something they wouldn’t usually buy for themselves.
- A range of prizes. If you don’t want to offer one big prize, this is a neat alternative. Then your followers have more chance of winning, and you get to show off more products.
- Gift cards and coupons. Participants love prizes with clear monetary value. If you’re offering a product haul, tell your followers exactly how much it’s worth. Then the prize will seem even more desirable.
- Choice. Another advantage of gift cards is that you empower participants to choose. The winner can pick a prize they really love, and your generosity will be clear to all your followers.
Here’s a great example. A women’s lifestyle brand decided to give away a $500 Sephora gift card. They made a giveaway video with Halloween makeup tips, and won amazing engagement in return.
It’s also important to show the prize clearly. Remember to highlight it in both the video and the thumbnail image on YouTube. This next screenshot is a great example – and it demonstrates the power of co-branding, too.
This technology reviewing channel wanted to share the Halloween excitement, but they didn’t have a clear connection to the holiday. So they teamed up with an electronics brand. They used one of the brand’s smart projectors to set up Halloween decorations and tricks, showcased in the video. Then, followers could comment for the chance to win the projector.
How to set up a Halloween giveaway on YouTube
There are lots of different ways to run a Halloween giveaway on YouTube. Your choice will depend on your brand, your marketing objectives, and your followers! But before we get started, here are two general recommendations:
- Keep it simple. When you’re designing a giveaway, always think about how motivated your followers are. Do they regularly like and comment on your posts? Do they like to share content, or are they shy? Prizes are a great way to encourage engagement, but don’t expect participants to follow complicated rules. Make it easy to join the competition, with a single action to take part.
- Be yourself. Other channels and brands can be great sources of inspiration. But make sure they don’t overshadow your own identity! First, think creatively about your brand and the image you want to project. Then design a promotion that suits you.
Now let’s dive into some of the most popular modes for a Halloween giveaway on YouTube.
Giveaway with comments
If your goal is to increase followers and engagement, then this is the ideal option. It’s easy for followers to answer a quick question, or tell you their opinion of a video, product or idea. Try and think of a fun question that applies to your brand, or is Halloween-themed!
We like this example, above. Viewers could watch the video, and once they’d seen the range of prizes, comment with their favorite. Then they had a chance to win the product they commented about!
Giveaway with registration form
Here’s another classic option. This type of giveaway is geared towards collecting leads and customer information. Present your giveaway in an exciting video. Then ask followers to fill in a form for their chance to win the prize.
Here’s a cute Halloween giveaway on YouTube, made by a candy company. The video showcased all the delicious treats they had to give away. All their followers had to do was click through to a registration form and share their personal details. With the Easypromos promotion designer, you can encourage participants to follow you on social media, as part of the registration process.
A quick and creepy quiz
Add an element of competition by challenging your followers to a quiz. Just like a registration form, they can click through to answer questions and join the prize draw. This is a good option if you already have an active audience of online followers, who enjoy engaging with your posts. You can follow the Halloween theme, or take the opportunity to educate customers about your brand.
Like the idea of a Halloween quiz? Then you’re in luck! Get started now with our free quiz template. Just click the link to create a draft in your Easypromos Control Panel.
Rules for YouTube giveaways
A Halloween giveaway on YouTube is a chance to show followers that your brand is trustworthy and transparent. But in order to do that, you must follow YouTube’s rules for promotions! Here are the most important details to share with participants:
- Competition dates. YouTube giveaways usually last up to a week. Make sure your followers know exactly when the giveaway starts and ends.
- How the prize works. Explain exactly what the prize is, and how winners can collect. If you have any conditions for awarding the prize, spell them out clearly. That includes…
- Location, location, location. If your promotion is restricted to a certain location, then announce it in the video, video description and terms and conditions. Don’t leave any room for doubt! Then, if you have to disqualify any winners because of their location, you’ve got receipts.
- Be accountable. Tell your followers who’s responsible for the giveaway. Include a name, address, and multiple ways to contact them. Remember, a good promotion is an opportunity to build trust.
You must always include terms and conditions in your giveaways. For a YouTube comments giveaway, share a link to the T&Cs in the video description. If you ask users to click through for a registration form or quiz, you can host the legal details there.
Use Easypromos’ free tool to create, edit and host terms and conditions.
Make your giveaway go viral
Once you’ve designed your Halloween giveaway on YouTube, you’ll need to share it as widely as possible. Tell your followers about the promotion on all your social networks, and direct traffic towards your YouTube channel. Here are some top tips to make sure your giveaway goes viral.
- Keywords. YouTube is the second most-searched site after Google, so make it easy for viewers to find you. Include keywords like giveaway, Halloween, prize, contest, and competition in your video description and title. Add keywords that match the specifics of your brand and prize, too.
- Hashtags. YouTube has just started using hashtags in 2018 to organize content. And your followers are used to finding what they need with hashtags on other social networks. So, just like keywords, make sure your video is tagged with relevant hashtags to get attention.
- Emoji. YouTube supports emoji in video titles, descriptions and even the search box! These little images are a great way to add colour, energy and life to your promotion. Easypromos has just added emoji to our promotion editor, too. So when you announce winners or build a registration form for your followers, liven things up with some cute pictures! ????
Check out our Halloween microsite for even more useful info, ideas, inspiration and resources for a Halloween giveaway on YouTube or other social networks.
Now it’s your turn! Start planning your Halloween giveaway on YouTube with Easypromos now. Remember, it’s free to create an account and start drafting promotions.
English copywriter at Easypromos marketing team