Festivals can get great exposure on social networks. News, images and music from the artists on the poster can be shared with your followers, keeping them up to date with all the latest festival news. If you are thinking about going one step further, we suggest you carry out a digital marketing action to make your festival more viral and reach a wider audience.
If you’re not sure where to start, here are 5 ideas to promote a music festival which will improve the experience of those attending and ensure that people connect directly with the event in question.
1. Social Media Giveaway to Boost Ticket Sales
If you want to boost ticket sales in the weeks leading up to the festival, prepare a sweepstakes on your Facebook Page Timeline to give all those who ‘like’ or comment on a post the chance to win tickets or merchandising.
You can encourage the participants to share the post so that their friends who are not followers of your Page also have a chance of winning. Write the post yourself or follow a template provided in the app in order to save time.
You can also carry out an Instagram Giveaway in your profile to promote the festival and give away tickets or merchandising before the event starts. In the next example, a festival gives away 2 tickets among all the people who comment on the post.
- The ideal app to increase engagement with your social media community.
- You can set up the giveaway in just three clicks.
- By giving away tickets, you will ensure that the giveaway becomes viral quickly as participants will share it to invite their friends to join in.
- On Facebook, you can use more than one post to remind users about the sweepstakes; you can use the application to collect all the likes or comments of all the posts that you select.
- No registration is required from the user – they are entered into the sweepstakes just by commenting on a post.
2. Music Festival Tickets Sweepstakes
If you need more information about the participants in your sweepstakes, or one of the main objectives by hosting a festival giveaway is to obtain leads that are interested in music and entertainment events, you can run a sweepstakes with entry form. You will be able to disseminate a link to the sweepstakes through any social media and e-mail, and you can also embed it in your web or blog. This kind of promotion to boost your music festival ticket sales is easy to carry out and it’s also easy to participate in because users can submit their entry quickly and from their smartphone.
3. Capturing Each Moment
Your music festival most likely has its own unique hashtag that visitors use when they post their photos and videos on their social media profiles. This helps to increase the visibility of the event. However, there is much more you can do with a hashtag.
Organize a hashtag contest to run during the festival and instantly import tweets and photos and videos from Twitter and Instagram. You and the users will then be able to share the content via the contest gallery provided by the app and make it viral.
If you want to boost participation, you can enable voting and carry out a final sweepstakes among all users who have used your hashtag to upload audiovisual material. You could give away festival merchandising or tickets to next year’s event.
Use the official festival hashtag to encourage people to upload photos and videos during the event; then carry out a sweepstakes among all the users.
- A perfect tool to boost hashtag-identified events.
- Lots of festival-related content generated, such as text pieces, photos and videos, which you can import easily.
- You can display this content in a customizable, responsive and multi-platform gallery which you can publish on your webpage, blog or across social networks.
- Carry out a random sweepstakes and obtain a certificate of validity as a guarantee of transparency.
4. The Audience is the Star of the Show
Did you like the idea we just mentioned? Well, it gets even better! If your festival has big screens, we suggest you use the Full Screen feature as part of your hashtag contest.
This feature serves to project images on any type of screen or high-resolution monitor in real time. When the participant uploads a photo with the contest hashtag, this photo is then projected onto the screen, where it is displayed as part of a slideshow.
This way, the audience can see any images they upload to Instagram or Twitter during or after the music festival and this will make them feel like they are an important part of the event.
Another idea is to run a photo or video contest before the festival to reach brand awareness, specially if you are one of the sponsors of the music festival. This way you can connect your brand with the festival and increase the engagement with your community on social media. Festival tickets are a perfect prize but because of the value of the it, you can ask users a high level of requirements to enter the prize draw. In the next example, people must upload a video to have the chance of winning the festival tickets.
- It adapts 100% to any type of screen, monitor or TV.
- It offers the option of projecting images only, text only or images plus text.
- The images flow at a slow pace which is pleasing to the eyes.
- It offers an optional pre-moderation system for reviewing images before they appear on the screen, thus giving you the chance to block any inappropriate content.
5. May the Best Song Win
If your music festival gives awards to the best artists or concerts, we suggest you employ the Pick Your Favorite app using music videos from each group.
Post the artists’ videos in a public gallery to display them for voting. By default, each user can only vote for one of the proposals, although you can allow users to vote for more than one. You can also determine the maximum number of votes that a user can cast.
Even if you don’t give awards to the artists, you can still take advantage of this promotion to ask attendees to vote for the concert they enjoyed the most.
Use the Pick Your Favorite application to ask users which concert they liked best.
- Set up the best way of presenting the options: via a vertical gallery or a mosaic gallery (which displays more than one option per line).
- Obtain the email addresses of voters via the registration form. You can then download all the users’ information to an Excel file.
- In order to encourage participation, organize a final sweepstakes giving all voters the chance to win tickets to next year’s festival.
An Extra Idea…
All you need is a tablet to carry out a live sweepstakes and boost your ticket sales massively. How? It’s very simple: Have somebody from the organization stand at the entrance to the festival inviting people as they come in to register their details on the tablet for a chance to meet the artist in a meet and greet after the concert. You’ll then be able to carry out the sweepstakes from the tablet once all the attendees have entered.
If you want to make the promotion even more spectacular, ask the artist to read out the name/s of the winner/s at the end of the show. This will create anticipation and provide the audience with a moment of great excitement. Alternatively, you can send an automatic email alert to the winner, informing him or her where to go after the show to have a photo taken with the artist.
Here is a post containing an example of how to carry out a live survey at an event. Read this to discover all the uses that this action can offer.
Carry out a live sweepstakes before the concert starts and reward the lucky winner with the opportunity to meet the artist in person.
- If you announce the sweepstakes across the social networks a few days before the event, you will boost ticket sales.
- You will be giving an innovative and fun image by carrying out a promotional action that the audience will never forget.
- Ask participants for all the details that you require, but bear in mind that the registration form shouldn’t be too long or take too much time to complete.
- Carry out a random sweepstakes among all registered participants so that they all have the same chance of winning.
We hope these examples and ideas can help you create an ideal promotion for your music festival. Please, do not hesitate to contact our team if you need extra information.
Silvia Marti Ferrer
Marketing and Customer care Easypromos’ team